Force India set their sights on breaking into Formula One’s top three at the launch of their new car on Wednesday and hit back at suggestions that they lack the budget to match the manufacturers in a spending ‘arms race’.
“If we did not dream big, we would not have finished fourth in the world championship last year,” said co-owner and principal Vijay Mallya, the embattled former billionaire whose extradition is sought by India.
“We will always dream big,” added the business tycoon who was charged in absentia last month by India’s Central Bureau of Investigation with conspiracy and fraud over a loan to his defunct Kingfisher Airlines.
He has dismissed the charges against him.
“We have never had conversations, even in private, that we cannot break into the top three. That is certainly going to be our objective. We are going to give it our best shot.”
Force India enjoyed their best ever season last year, finishing behind Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari.
Force India’s annual budget is estimated at less than half that of the teams above them and also some of those below, such as McLaren.
Mallya said the team planned to develop the new Mercedes-powered VJM10 throughout the season but would not set a target for podium finishes or points he wanted Mexican Sergio Perez and French newcomer Esteban Ocon to achieve. “I’ve always said ‘under promise and over deliver’,” said Mallya of his approach to Formula One.
“And I’m going to stick to that philosophy. As much as people may say there is this huge barrier to breaking into the top three, I see no reason why we can’t.”
